So I'm going on about 10 weeks here in Peru and as I talk to my friends back home starting work or finishing up another semester of college I realize that 10 weeks is actually a fairly long time! I keep having to pinch myself because as much as I get frustrated some days with the language barrier or long hours of commutes by bus I am truly very happy to be tackling this adventure.
Last week I had a stomach virus of some sort. No need for details but it consisted of five days of no eating, going to the doctor Saturday, and now eating a simple diet of bread, chicken, rice, and bananas. I knew I needed to go to the doctor when I was sitting in my Spanish class Friday about to cry because I didn't know how to do an activity. I felt so bad for my teacher who was just watching me completely fail and crumble before his eyes. Saturday I went to the doctors where I made my appointment speaking english to the receptionists but proceeded to a doctor where spanish was the only language I could use. So they asked some questions and hooked me up to come fluids just to get me hydrated again. I go in for a check-up tomorrow but right now I am feeling good!
 |
| Gettin the hook up in the hospital |
Anyways besides my run in with the runs I have also been enjoying the weekends here in Lima. Last weekend was a Wine festival in Surco (a district in Lima). My friends and I went to watch a parade one day and went back another for dinner, wine, and a beauty pageant, followed by some great music of course! Another friend of mine recently moved into a new apartment and they had a house warming party. It felt so American/Foreign to have a house warming party because that is not particularly popular here but I enjoyed the relaxed feeling of partying in a house and meeting other expats.
 |
| Plaza de Armas en Surco |
 |
| Apparently someone eats them . . . |
Besides small day to day meet ups with friends I have been enjoying work. I still get new students every week and next week will start working more hours so I look forward to building more relationships. It's weird but I already see progress with some already just after a couple weeks of meeting up twice a week. I am excited to see how much the students grow while I am working with them. So really I can't complain! I think I say that every time but honestly I find joy in the simplest of things. The frustration that builds when buying one thing at the grocery store can take 30 minutes is combatted by the time the owner made a special dish for me last week after we explained to him that I had a limited diet because my stomach. These simple acts are a constant reminder of why there is always a smile on my face!
 |
| Lucas the boy I tutor was hiding from me. He needs some practice. |
P.S. I did not take the time to read over this post so if it sounds dumb or there are errors I take full responsibility for them and all the other ones from previous posts.
No comments:
Post a Comment