So I have been living in Palermo now for 2 weeks and I have
studied and mastered the art of relaxing and doing nothing. haha. Let’s just
say the first couple days here were rough. After enjoying the last few days
with my friends in Torino I finally had to say goodbye to everyoneBut after two
days of sleeping and being mopey I decided to get up and be productive. I have
been staying active by going on runs around the city and surrounding areas to
get a better understanding of the land.
I have also notched a couple books off my list and have had time to
catch up with friends. So Skype and Facebook have been pretty prevalent in my
life as well. Gabe’s family has been overly gracious. They take me all around
town and have been my tour guides the past week and a half. I also had three
friends from Torino in the area. I was able to meet up with them a few times
last week which was nice to see familiar faces. Even though it had only been 4
days. Gabe has introduced me his friends
too. Some who speak English and some that don’t but we manage. Last Sunday I went on a boat ride around the
bay and it was beautiful to see Palermo from the ocean. And this past Wednesday
was the 20th anniversary of Falcone and his death. He was a judge
who fought against the Mafia and put away about 300 people involved in the
mafia. There was a march where we walked all over Palermo chanting and singing.
That night I also attended a soccer game celebration that had different actors
and singers performing along with a soccer game that consisted of people
related to Falcone, other judges who fought, and actual soccer players. It was
a great way to celebrate the life of Falcone and what he fought for. And since
then I have been hitting up the beach Mondello that is an hour run so I just
wrap my suit around my wrist and head out for the day and take the bus back
after I enjoyed the water and sun. Now I am in San Martine a small town 20
minutes outside of Palermo that is in the hills. Gabe and his family have a
house here. We are here to relax for the weekend and enjoy the nature and sun!
No comments:
Post a Comment