Wednesday, January 29, 2014

And Spanglish Was It's Name-O

Today marks two weeks that I have been living in Peru and things have turned around for the better! The first couple weeks were hard in realizing that this is nothing like study abroad (Partying for 4 months with other Americans where you travel and aren't challenged too much by the cultural or language differences). The realization that teaching at an international school requires more than a college diploma and some actual teaching experience . . who would have thought.  And coming to terms with the fact that the transit system here is crazy with buses going every which way and live entertainment with people preaching the good word, serenading us with their guitar, or people selling candy (which I should really consider considering we are in such close proximity and I doubt my breath always smells like roses).

Enough complaining now onto the good things!  I am starting work next Monday at an English School so it's pretty much tutoring but I will be working in an office and start with 12 hours. It's summer here r so people are out traveling.  Once the school year starts in March I will be working more hours.  I have been hanging out with some of my roommates here in Barranco and going to the beach or shopping and enjoying good company and great conversations. I also have been looking up club like groups online for dancing, running, reading, ect. Whatever it may be I am getting out there and meeting new people. And as always I am practicing my Spanish. People like to strike up conversations because I am a foreigner so it gives me more practice each day. I went to the beach yesterday and the lifeguard started talking to me and I know what you are thinking but sadly no. He did ask to show me around the city considering I know nothing about it but I told him I have friends who are doing that with me. The house I live in is a constant battle between English and Spanish where the conversation will start in Spanish and then switch over to English and someone will come into the room and depending on their strong language it could change back over.  For someone still learning it is entertaining and draining and sometimes I just mix all of it in one sentence.


Sorry I don't have any pictures this time but next time I will add some more. I'm considering getting an instagram but I don't know the first thing about it, don't even know how to spell it     (is that the correct way) so I will let you know if I have a change or heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment