Thursday, February 6, 2014

Lil John say Whhaaaa

So I started work this week but lets be honest the most momentous part of my week has been buying a bike!!!

I still need a name! Any suggestions?

So here I am in Peru now riding my bike everywhere. It's a little different than Chico considering I'm dodging three different types of buses, numerous taxis, other automobiles, potholes, and construction sites that are blocked off with a couple of orange cones.  Using my bike though is much faster than the public transport so I can't complain.

Work has been easy so far. Just starting with 10 hours the first couple weeks because of summer but I have worked with all ages and personalities already.  Today one man I was working with is going to Fashion Week in Vancouver in a month so I told him to bring in some of his pictures and samples and we could help him build a portfolio in English. I am happy to be building relationships with my students in that way.


This past weekend was a whirlwind of partying. Two roommates had birthdays last week so Friday we decided to have a house party that rolled into going out dancing and getting home around 6 a.m. The next day was National Pisco Sour day, which consisted of multiple samples of Pisco Sours in the park.  Sunday was the same. I guess it was a national weekend rather than a day :) Besides the dancing and sampling I met more friends and enjoyed the beaches so can't really complain about too much yet.

Barranco Beaches about 10 minute walk from my house

The best part of my week so far though has been the reaction from a little boy last night after he saw three white people walking in the streets. I am used to the cat calls, whistles, stopping of traffic, kissing sounds, even some growls  (weird, I know!) but this little boy was with his mother and grandmother and turned to look at us and yelled "que! what!" (Picture this said in a high pitch exaggerated/ lil john type of way). This was the highlight of my night and if kept us laughing for some time.  Just the usual while living in Peru I guess.  

Thanks for all the support and positive vibes coming my way. It's awesome to see my life growing here in Peru!

Looking at the city set up on the cliffs

No comments:

Post a Comment